Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Survive...

I hate to say it, but this week I want to survive with my class. I am embarking on a new life. I am teaching undergraduates instead of preschoolers and I am feeling overwhelmed, this, my second week of classes. 
I know my stuff, but my stuff is not tightly organized into a coursework 16-week plan yet. I am trying to not become overwhelmed. 
So, this week, I want to make 1:1 correspondence and seed studies fun with my my Early Childhood Math and Science students. I'm bringing in The Tiny Seed, One Seed, and The Carrot Seed. We're going to do an exploration of cutting open fruits and vegetables and sorting out some 13 (or 18) bean soup. We'll see where their inquiry brings us from there in the lab.
For 1:1 correspondence, we're going to play "The Shoe Game" where everyone takes off a shoe and tosses it in the middle of the circle. We pick a friend's shoe, find the match, and then say to that person, "Hello, ____. how do you do? I think that I have found your shoe." And then the person whose shoe it is responds politely, "Thank you, ____." In addition, I'll have 1:1 correspondence activity stations set up for the students to go through. My favorite is where I have poker chips, tennis ball puppets, and a die. They roll the die to find out how many chips to feed the puppet. When he gets full, I like to make him burp out all of the chips. 
Will that cover three hours? I guess I'll have to throw in some Piaget and Vgotsky and a bit about inquiry and problem solving. Cheers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment