Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Cubs Hat

My Cub's hat has both practical and sentimental value. That is why it is my favorite article of clothing.

Practical: It keeps the sun out of my eyes, which keeps my 4:00 pm headaches at bay. It keeps my hair back (otherwise, I am eating my errant strands). It keeps my head warm. It fits perfectly and is just the right weight, thickness, and shape for a baseball hat.

Sentimental: I love the Cubs, and this hat in particular. I became a loyal fan around the time I was 8 years old. I had a streak of going to Opening Day of 8 years in a row, until my unmissable Investigative Journalism class senior year of college broke the streak.(I did try to bribe my professor to move the class to the evening with my two extra tickets..no go.) I lived two blocks from the bleacher's gate for a year post-college and pre-graduate school. It was awesome. I think bleacher tickets were $5 then. Nothing makes me happier than riding by on the L heading North in the summer and seeing the W flag flying over the bleacher entrance, knowing the fans got to sing, "Go Cubs Go," before they left the game.

I have a bunch of baseball caps, but this is the one I love the most. It's my "go-to" cap when I get home and need to get my hair up to make dinner. As soon as the pitchers and catchers report for Spring Training, it's a staple for the season. 

Go Cubs Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment